Saturday, October 18, 2008

Authentic Indian Butter Chicken Recipe




One of our favourite past times is food tripping. My hubby & I love trying out international cuisines - Thai, Chinese, Turkish, Greek, Italian, Indian, Kiwi (of course!) etc... and we love 'em all!

So, everytime we eat 'butter chicken' there's too many flavours teasing my tastebuds I cannot exactly pinpoint the ingredients, normally I could tell what's in a dish with just a spoonful of tasting it...but this particular one, made me wonder, hmmm.

And so, I came across this 'butter chicken' recipe and thought I'd try it out, see cause I am not really a big fan of canned & processed food flavourings- I mean they're great & practical but if I could use natural ingredients then I'd rather give it a go.

To cut the story short- the dish came out great so, I took photos & decided to post it here.



INGREDIENTS:





500 gms. boneless chicken, cut into bite size pieces

2 tsp. lemon juice

2 tsp. salt

3 tbsp. paprika powder

1 tbsp. spice mix

2 tbsp. Coriander
1 tbsp. cumin powder

Whole spices: a tbsp. mixture of cinammon bark, anis seed (you could get them in spice shops or McCormick powders...)

1 1/2 tbsp. fenugreek, dried

3/4 c cream

1/2 c tomato puree'

3 tbsp. butter

2 tsp. sugar


How To:


1. Marinate chicken in yoghurt, lemon juice, salt, chopped ginger, minced garlic and 1/2 of paprika, cumin. Leave for an hour or 3o minutes.

2. Lightly roast whole spices, then using a mortar & pestle- ground til powdery.

3. In a wok or saucepan, brown chicken and set aside.

4. Add butter & oil together, add in the spices.

5. Add tomato puree, simmer a little then pour in the cream.

6. Add in the chicken pieces and simmer over low fire til sauce thickens and the oil separates from the sauce- then you'll know it's ready.

7. Sprinkle the dried fenugreek last.



Serve hot with steamed Basmati rice and garlic naan.

No comments: