Saturday, June 21, 2014

Coconut Cream Cake






Hi folks! haven't been around lately but I'm back with a much requested recipe for this cake that I posted on Facebook. Anyway, how this came about is my natural love for coconut...the smell and creaminess of it is just so heavenly scrummy. I have heard of many versions of coconut cake but I just tweaked my own recipe because first of all I love wheatmeal as base flour and second my family doesn't like coconut shreds or anything like that in cakes, I don't mind but they do so I decided to just use good ol' coconut cream for that yummy flavour. Hmmmm. Now, this is a one-bowl mix kind of thing so pretty easy to make and it is a rich cake so it isn't an everyday cake (wink)... Okay, enough talk-

INGREDIENTS:

Dry:

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup wheatmeal flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
pinch of salt

Liquid:

3 eggs
1 cup oil
1 can condensed milk
1 cup coconut cream- *warm in the microwave to melt


HOW TO:

1.) Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, make sure it's well blended. 

2.) Make a well in the center and add in all the wet ingredients. Starting from the middle, whisk outwards until it is lump-free. 
*If you think it's too thick just add a quarter cup of milk, that'll make it easier to work with without affecting it much but don't over mix as well because we don't want to overwork the gluten and it will make the cake hard.

3.) Grease your bundt pan WELL! I love using bundt pans with plain cakes because they just look so pretty. TIP: use oil or butter and make sure every corner and curve of the pan is greased, then add flour, yes- flour the pan so when you turn the cake over it will keep the shape. Dust off the excess flour. 

4.) Pour batter into pan and bake at 180 degrees until center springs back to touch and no longer mushy. This cake may bake for 45 minutes and don't be alarmed if the top browns. It makes it yummier I think :)  Dust lightly with icing sugar and ALWAYS serve warm. So even if it cools down and you want to have a slice, pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Serve with yoghurt.

Enjoy!



“Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart.” 
Erma Bombeck



No comments: