Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Classic Spinach-Ricotta Canneloni



Hi everyone! I've finally finished tweaking with this blog's design, what do you think? I opted for a classic minimalist look with neutral tones plus a bit of vintage touch :) and I love it! took me awhile coz' I got too busy with life so I took the opportunity last night to knuckle down and just finish the job, ugh..what a relief.
Anyway, here is a family favourite~ the humble spinach canneloni, I added some really nice German sausages to the sauce just because my hubby wanted some sort of meat in it, otherwise it is good as it is. Another easy and delicious recipe for you :)





INGREDIENTS:


half-cooked canneloni tubes, enough to evenly fill out a rectangular tray/baking dish
500 gm. frozen spinach, drained well and chopped
500 gm. ricotta cheese
 200 gm. parmesan cheese
salt, pepper to taste
minced garlic and onion
300 gm.fresh chopped, over ripe tomatoes or x2 canned chopped tomatoes/sauce- up to you.
fresh basil leaves
*optional- 4 gourmet sausages sliced (I used cheese kransky)


HOW TO:


1. In a medium bowl, combine the spinach and ricotta- blend well.

2. Add in the parmesan, salt & pepper- season according to your taste although I prefer it a bit salty otherwise it can be quite bland but that's just me ;)

3. Carefully fill each canneloni tube, using a teaspoon so it won't break apart. Set aside.

4. In the meantime let's make the sauce-in a small saucepan, add oil then onions, cook til onions are translucent then add the garlic and sausages, saute for 2 minutes then add the tomatoes.

5. Simmer for another 5 minutes over low heat and season to taste, once cooked add about a handful of fresh basil leaves.


ASSEMBLE:

 Pour a ladle of sauce in the dish then evenly layer the filled cannelonis...pour the rest of the sauce on top and generously sprinkle some parmigiano cheese. Bake at 180 C for about 15-20 minutes. Serve with garlic bread.
Yummy!



There is no sight on earth more appealing than a woman making dinner for someone she loves- Thomas Wolfe







3 comments:

ethelmaepotter! said...

YUM! I wish I had all the ingredients for this right now, coz it sure does make me crave it. Question - how would this hold up to make in advance and microwave later the same day? I'm thinking about taking it to work one day for some of us girls, but I would have to bake it in the morning and our lunch is about 9pm.

Kaye said...

Oops sorry for the late reply- the pasta keeps well in the fridge, you can cook it the night before and just glad wrap it for the next day :) no freezing needed. IF you need to add more sauce then do so, just double the sauce recipe because left over pasta dishes almost always absorbs the sauce, keep some in a container and pour it over plus cheese before you microwave. :)

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummm