Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Curly Churros










I think everybody I know loves Churros, our family does for sure. We used to go all the way to the Mount to have our cravings satisfied but then that cute little churros kiosk all of a sudden shut down to our hearts dismay. So...one night after work and with the rain pouring like mad, the craving struck me...so bad that I had to make it myself. The first recipe I tried was a complete and utter fail, I ended up with this gooey ball of white mush which tasted like nothing, yuk. And then I searched some more and found a fantastic looking picture and the website looked legit to me and luckily it was. So, my friends this recipe which I got off Pinterest I kind of tweaked it to my taste so I changed a little bit of it and here it is for you to try- and it's kitchen tested by me so you know it's gonna come out great (Lol...). This recipe is adapted from Mowielicious.


INGREDIENTS:

batter:
75 grams butter
250 ml. water
1/4 tsp. salt
140 grams flour (1 cup)
2 eggs, beaten
oil for deep frying

dusting:
sugar, cinnamon

dip:
your choice of nutella, caramel (homemade or tinned), or melted dark chocolate with or without liquer
*heat nutella or your choice of dip to melting point in a small saucepan to serve.

HOW TO:

1.) Heat water and butter to boiling point. Remove from heat and add the salt then the flour- MIX vigourously. This would form a thick paste-like batter ball which is a little bit resistant to whisk but just whisk it enough to blend the ingredients together.

2.) Dribble in the beaten eggs onto the still warm batter whilst whisking- this will then form into a smooth, lemony coloured ball and easier to work with. Just mix it enough that it leave the sides of the pan and form into a nice big, yellow lump.

3.) Use a large saucepan or deep-fryer if you have one- heat your oil to a minimum of at least 170 deg. or if you use your kitchen sense so to speak- heat your oil to high but not smoking point and just adjust accordingly. I normally heat my oil on high and adjust it midway between med. and high when I start cooking them so as not to burn the outside and undercook the inside.

4.) Fit your pastry/piping bag with the largest star tip nozzle you could find and fill 3/4 of it with the batter, twist the end of the bag tightly with your hand to make sure it doesn't squeeze out on top when you start piping them into the hot oil.

5.) Now that your oil is hot- start piping the batter to your desired length and shape- maybe 4-5 strips at a time. Do not flip over straightaway. Allow each side to brown properly, at least 2 minutes per side, if it's browning too quickly lower your heat because the inside will turn out gooey and uncooked.

6.) Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate with kitchen paper. You can immediately dredge them on the sugar-cinnamon mixture while the churros are hot so that they stick nicely on the pastry. Once you've cooked them to the last strip quickly heat your choice of dip- be creative and try anything you want :) but Caramel is a killer, just so you know (wink).


By the way- the plateful on the photo is 3x the recipe, so just double or triple the recipe above for a satisfying batch.

Enjoy!





"Anything is good if it's made of chocolate!"
~ Jo Brand










No comments: